Dear Dr. Mark,
I just turned 60 and I’m concerned about losing my teeth. Both of my parents were in full dentures before they were my age and I don’t want that to happen to me. What can I do to prevent this?
Thanks for the advice,
Thanks for the email. The good news is, just because your parents lost all of their teeth at a young age, doesn’t necessarily mean that the same thing will happen to you.
As we age our mouths change, and it becomes even more important to practice good oral hygiene. Tooth loss is not an inevitable part of life, and if cared for properly, your mouth can be healthy and beautiful throughout your lifespan. Read more
Dr. Costes with a representative from Yavapai Big Brothers Big Sisters when he donated $1000.
“I loved the enthusiasm of the staff when my new teeth were put in! Amazing attitudes! Dr. Costes gives professional, gentle care.”
– Bryan Naowichi
Local Dentist Takes a Stand Against Sweets this Halloween
Prescott Valley and Chino Valley, AZ
One area dentist is redefining the phrase “Put your money where your mouth is.” This Halloween, trick- or- treaters can bring their excess candy to Horizon Dental Group’s Chino Valley or Prescott Valley locations and receive $1 per pound. Dr. Mark Costes is leading this anti-decay movement by giving away dollars and electric glowing toothbrushes in exchange for cavity-provoking candy. Read more
For many people a trip to the Dentist is not very high on their list of things to do. That’s a shame, because dental hygiene is extremely important. If you neglect your teeth for too long one day you’ll wake up and they might just be gone. That would make it really hard to eat the foods you love and to smile when someone takes your picture.
If you’d like to keep your choppers for as long as possible a regular check-up is essential. Here are 10 reasons why;
1) Prevention of gum disease. No, this has nothing to do with Trident but everything to do with the soft pink stuff around your teeth. If your gums get sick, your teeth will suffer too.
2) Keep your pearly whites white with a regular Dental check-up, and never worry when someone says ‘say cheese!’.
3) Save money. Like maintaining your car, if you take care of your teeth they’ll last a lot longer and look great while they’re doing it. Plus they’ll never leave you stranded on the side of the road.
4) Prevention of oral cancer. This one is serious. Your Dentist can detect Oral Cancer in its earliest stages, when it’s treatable. ‘Nuff said.
5) Make sure if you have cavities that they’re taken care of before they become really bad. Cavities happen sometimes, but if you go regularly your Dentist can fix them while they’re still small.
6) Your Dentist can actually spot Hypertension and Diabetes by looking in your mouth. No fooling.
7) Give your kids a good habit to follow. This one’s a no-brainer.
8) A thorough cleaning really feels great, and can prevent all sorts of icky diseases.
9) Less down time with toothaches and other problems. Be honest, do you really want to call in sick and tell your boss it’s because you have a tooth ache? You’ll never hear the end of it!
10) Your smile is the first thing most people see. Take care of it by seeing your Dentist Regularly!
So there you have it. 10 great reasons to see your Dentist more than once every 5 years. If you haven’t seen yours in a while, why not pick up the phone and make an appointment today by calling me at (928) 636-1565 or shoot me an email. You’ll be glad you did, I promise.
Dr. Mark Costes